Foreword

I started listening to Linkin Park when I was fourteen. They were unknown to me from the beginning until I saw the video for "Crawling." The lyrics were raw and dark as if the words were managing to escape from the recesses of the human soul. There were a lot of metal bands I've listened to at this age, the likes of Korn and Papa Roach. One thing about this band was that they were powerful than any band in existence. The music and words spoke to an unhinged and unrequired love that hate couldn't reach.
 
Fast forward to 2007, I started getting into their music religiously after spending a while listening to previous songs from them. That's when I found out about their lead singer, Chester Bennington. He was the one with the voice of reason and change. He sang like an angel and screamed like a demon. At this point, I heard a song "What I've Done," which was like a sociopolitical anthem for the world. "In this farewell, there's no blood/ There's no alibi." Just hearing those first several words sent a chill up my spine and taught me that there were other major concerns to adhere to. Racism, poverty, and politics all brought up the fact that there should be a change in perspective. To this day, I had regained my trust, love and respect for the frontman and the band as a whole.
 
On July 20, 2017, fans all over the world mourned the loss of this humble, caring and troubled soul. Chester Bennington died by suicide, which sent me into total shock. I found out he suffered from depression. It's devastating for someone like him to have those traumas come back to haunt him after he worked so hard to stay sober, especially during his time touring with Linkin Park. He also dealt with addiction, by the way. I suffered from depression in 2014 and didn't reach out for help until after eight months of despair. I was in the best shape of my life after getting help for it back in August of that year. I was on antidepressants for about a year. I returned to meditation and exercise. I even continued to write positive affirmations. I gave up alcohol after seven years of drinking. It felt good. Then the depressive episode resurfaced days after Chester passed. I really didn't take the news well. I broadcasted on Facebook with the lyrics to "In The End." "I tried so hard, and got so far. But in the end, it doesn't even matter." I hid my feelings for a couple of months until I broke down. During my last visit to a mental health facility, I was just numb. I thought about Chester throughout my eleven-day stay. I just wanted to tell him how I really felt about his departure from this planet.
 
Over the months, my perception of his death was more about celebrating and appreciating life. I also spent my time via social media finding other members of the LP family. I'm blessed to have an understanding, thoughtful and kind band of angels by my side.
 
Chester also had a kind and charitable heart. He and his bandmates cofounded Music For Relief, which aids goods and assistance to families in time of disaster. To donate, visit www.musicforrelief.org. His wife, Talinda, teamed up with an existing nonprofit called Change Direction, which is focused on changing the culture and breaking the stigma of mental health and started an initiative called 320 Changes Direction in honor of Chester's birthday. To make a pledge, donate, or check out the five signs of emotional health, visit www.changedirection.org/320-changes-direction.
 
This is a story of fiction but it also depicts the life of a fan of Linkin Park, otherwise known as a soldier. It takes place ten years in the future when the mission of wisdom, justice and love solidifies in all of us as a reminder. Even if there are some people out there who are not big fans of this band's music, I encourage each and every one of you to check it out. Really listen to the lyrics and see if this convinces you and resonates with you. We all have had our traumas and hard times, but the music brings us together in the most unpredictable way possible.
 
In our hearts, I know Chester wants us to continue to spread the message of love and his iconic legacy lives on through his wife Talinda, his six children, his bandmates, and especially his fans. He said it himself that we are the greatest fans in the world and are not to be messed with. I hope we continue to spread love to every being in this world.
 
I hope this story brings out the best in every Linkin Park fan in the world. We all miss you so much, Chester. You're never forgotten.
 
"When life leaves us blind, love keeps us kind." Linkin Park, "The Messenger"
 
#LightsForChester #MakeChesterProud #FuckDepression #CelebrateLife #SpreadLove
 
Catrina C. Roberts

Comments